[PROPOSAL] Sieve for shared mailboxes

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Jul 8 09:59:20 EDT 2003

In the past, people have requested the ability to run sieve scripts when
messages are posted directly to shared mailboxes (via +detail
addressing).  I have suggested that this would be possible by
associating a script with the 'postuser' (typically "bb" or ""), but
this was deemed unacceptable as people wanted more fine grained control
over which mailboxes would have the script run.

Now that Cyrus 2.2 has support for mailbox annotations, I believe that
we can provide the functionality that people desire.  I propose the
following:

We will create a new "/vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/sieve" shared annotation
which can only be set by an admin.  Whenever a message is posted
directly to a shared mailbox, the script specified by the /sieve
annotation (if any) will be run.

Question: Should the annotation be inherited by child mailboxes?  This
would allow the same script to be run on an entire hierarchy by only
setting one annotation.

Thoughts?

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127