[PROPOSAL] Sieve for shared mailboxes

Cyrus Daboo daboo at cyrusoft.com
Tue Jul 8 13:42:22 EDT 2003

Hi Ken,

--On Tuesday, July 8, 2003 11:34 AM -0400 Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com>
wrote:

|> What about IMAP APPEND? Does that trigger the script? It really ought to
|> as well.
|
| I hadn't anticipated this.  What would be the need/advantage of this?

There is a huge potential for using sieve scripts for IMAP COPY/APPEND
operations to help automate processing of messages once they have arrived.
For example, I use the mailbox hierarchy as a way of organising my email,
so I have a 'Personal' mailbox, 'Personal. Friends', 'Personal.Family' etc.
Since I still choose to have messages delivered to INBOX, I then need to
manually classify each message and copy into the relevant mailbox after
reading/responding. What would be good is to have a single 'Rule' mailbox
with a script attached to it and that script would have all the logic for
determining the appropriate mailbox to copy the message into. All I would
then need to do is copy all messages I want to file away into the Rule
mailbox and the server/script would take care of filing it away properly
for me. Obviously clients can implement logic like that on the client-side,
but it would be nice to have it done on the server. The same kind of
behaviour would be nice for sent-mail messages too (i.e. APPEND).

Clearly certain sieve script actions do not make sense with COPY/APPEND -
in particular reject, so there would have to be some form of 'profile' of
sieve that would make sense.

--
Cyrus Daboo