subscribing for a user

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Thu Jul 17 06:32:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:33:47 +0100 (BST) Matt Bernstein <mb/cyrus at dcs.qmul.ac.uk>
wrote:

> At 10:59 -0400 Mike Cathey wrote:
>
> >> What I ended up doing was , since I would know the passwd of the user I
> >> logged on as the user using Mail::IMAPCLient module
> >> and sucscribed to the folder
> >
> >Same here.  I think there is a way to "proxy" as a user from an admin
> >account (ie. cyrus) though.
> >
> >Would anyone more informed than myself care to elaborate?
>
> I hacked the IMAP::Admin (nb not Cyrus::IMAP::Admin) module to do this. I
> sent my hack to its author, but I don't think it made it in:
>

> snip snip <patch cut out>

Thanks for that patch, I will consider applying it.  In the meantime I have
discovered that the subscription list appears to be just a plain text file held in
the configdirectory!  It is in the hashed subdirectory section under the user
subdirectory of the directory given for "configdirectory" in /etc/imapd.conf.

I just create the file (named <username>.sub) containing each folder name followed
by a tab character, one per line in alphabetic order.

If there is some reason why this will not always work then I would like to know.

Now I just need to sort out how to retain the message status information when I
convert the BSD format to cyrus!  This appears to be in another file alongside the
subscription file.  I just need to figure out the syntax.

Phil.