Need some advice

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Sat Jul 19 09:45:21 EDT 2003

John C. Amodeo wrote:

> Another issue that's come up is that of the actual virtual domain
> design.  In reality, we have 1 domain, but several sub domains within
> that domain that make up the different IMAP e-mail servers.  The Cyrus
> documentation suggests that you can have:
>
> mail.example.net
> mail.example.com
>
> ...but does not seem to imply you could have:
>
> dep1.example.com
> dep2.example.com
>
> ...as two separate domains and have authentication and mail delivery
> work properly with this configuration.  Am I misunderstanding the design
> of the virtual domain support in 2.2.X?  Will Cyrus virtual domains work
> with what I need to do?

Are you going to continue to use virtual IP addresses?  Cyrus strips the
first part of the FQDN as the local name and leaves the rest as the
domain.  So if you use names like:

mail.dep1.example.com
mail.dep2.example.com

this will give you domains:

dep1.example.com
dep2.example.com

If this doesn't work for you and have a better way of determining the
domain from the IP address, I'm all ears.  The most complaints that
we've had about the virt domains code, is the domain-from-IP half.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127