Sieve writes an empty line in headers for reject/vacation

Bernhard Erdmann be at berdmann.de
Sat Jul 19 14:57:47 EDT 2003

> I'm not convinced that this is being caused by Cyrus.  Here a snippit of
> the code which produces the vacation response.  As you can see, there is
> no extra CRLF after the Message-ID (or before Date).

I further tracked down the empty line. Seems like something is going
wrong with the line termination.

I configured Exim to deliver using LMTP over TCP/IP instead of using a
socket:

-- exim.conf:
local_lmtp:
   driver = smtp
   protocol = lmtp
   service = lmtp
   hosts = localhost
   hosts_override
   gethostbyname
   allow_localhost

-- cyrus.conf:
   lmtp		cmd="lmtpd -a" listen="lmtp" prefork=0
#  lmtpunix	cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=0

Then I attached tcpdump/ethereal to the loopback interface. The
communication between Exim and Cyrus is shown below.

The lines up to and including "Received: ... +0200" are terminated using
\r\n. The following lines are terminated using \r\r\n.

220 ente.berdmann.de LMTP Cyrus v2.1.13 ready
LHLO ente.berdmann.de
250-ente.berdmann.de
250-8BITMIME
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES