Tru64 and 2.2 problems

Scott Adkins adkinss at ohio.edu
Thu Jul 24 15:42:58 EDT 2003

--On Thursday, July 24, 2003 2:56 PM -0400 Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com>
wrote:

> Scott Adkins wrote:
>
>> Even though your suggestions were good, they weren't applicable to this
>> particular issue.  In fact, running the find command to find all the
>> source files with indented directives only showed up a couple lines as
>> follows (using a slightly different command than you supplied):
>>
>>  % find . -name '*.[ch]' | xargs egrep '^[: :]+#'
>>  ./sieve/addr-lex.c: #pragma warn -rch
>>  ./sieve/addr-lex.c: #pragma warn -use
>>  ./sieve/sieve-lex.c: #pragma warn -rch
>>  ./sieve/sieve-lex.c: #pragma warn -use
>>
>> Even though it has no bearing on the problem I was having, it is worth
>> fixing those few lines (by removing the single space before the #pragma)
>> just to increase the portability of the source code.
>
> These files are generated by flex, and I don't think we want to get into
> massaging its output.  Are you saying that the leading space is illegal,
> or that your compiler just doesn't like it?

Well, I looked at those files and thought they would be generated by flex,
but when I untarred the distribution, they were already there.  Are they
recreated on the fly, or are the ones provided in the distribution used?

As far as the leading space goes, it works on the Tru64 compiler, but I
*have* used compilers where the leading space was not permitted.  It is
actually a CPP problem, not a compiler problem.  With CPP's that don't
like it, the compile will fail and not just issue warnings.

Keep in mind that the only directives in the whole source of Cyrus that
has leading spaces are the 4 lines in the above 2 files.  The fixes are
purely for portability reasons.  If you want indentation, then you put
the spaces between the # and the pragma, as long as the # is the first
character of the line.

Anyways, obviously minor.

Scott
      Scott W. Adkins                http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/
   UNIX Systems Engineer                  mailto:adkinss at ohio.edu
        ICQ 7626282                 Work (740)593-9478 Fax (740)593-1944
     PGP Public Key available at http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/pgp/