flock vs fnctl

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Sun Jul 27 22:12:30 EDT 2003

>Thanks for the info... I switched over to using flock() and I can confirm
>that it is now being used instead of fnctl().  The problem is that I still
>see the same problem as before with regards to over 16500 instances of the
>following:
>
>    stat("/var/imap/mailboxes.db", 0x000000011FFF9C98) = 0
>    flock(6, LOCK_UN)                               = 0
>    flock(6, LOCK_SH)                               = 0
>    fstat(6, 0x000000011FFF9D38)                    = 0
>
>At least it uses flock() now :-)  It is interesting to see that this only
>occurs after all the mkdir/copy/unlink operations have been completed.  I
>don't know what it is trying to do, but it is quite painful... It adds at
>least another minute to the operation of the IMAP RENAME command after
>everything has been renamed!

This sounds like the same problem I complained about on the list in
the thread, subject "Very slow deletion of user mailboxes?", posted 9th
July. I haven't had a chance to investigate further.

    http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&msg=23597

http://www.object-craft.com.au/