Could not complete request over quota errors

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Wed Jul 30 20:20:50 EDT 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Marc Groot Koerkamp wrote:

> Andre Nicholson said:
> > I run into this problem **all of the time** with my users. What's
> > happening, if you use
> > a Trash folder, is that the message is first /copied/ to the Trash folder
> > and then if
> > successful the original message is deleted. Why isn't it just moved?? Is
> > it SquirrelMail
> > or Cyrus that's the cause?
>
> It's IMAP. RFC 3501 does not support the move command so we have to copy
> the message. Of course we could fake it by doing client side move which
> means buffer the message in mem or temporarely write it do file, delete,
> expunge,  and append the message in our buffer to the Trash folder but
> that sounds not save to me.
>
> Cyrus supports the quota extension so maybe we can in the future check
> quota before we move messages to trash and do some proper error handling
> but don't excpect it on short notice. In the future SM 2 version we also
> have ALERT information and probably we should display it to the user
> because the ALERT message regarding QUOTA will be present when 90 % of the
> quota is exceeded (if I'm correct).
>
> Ideal situation would be that the QUOTA extension is rewritten in order to
> set individual QUOTA on children mailboxes of QUOTAROOT so you can set the
> INBOX.Trash QUOTA to unlimited and still have QUOTA enabled on INBOX and
> the other children mailboxes. But that's not part of RFC 2087. Maybe a
> nice job for cyrus to come with a new RFC for this :)

So why not just set a really large quota on the Trash folder?  You could
do something like:

setquota user.testuser STORAGE 102400
setquota user.testuser.Trash STORAGE 1024000

That would give the user a 100MB quota for normal mail and a 1GB quota for
their Trash folder.

Or am I missing something?  :)

	Andy