saslauthd performance anxiety

Igor Brezac igor at ipass.net
Wed Jan 1 21:21:49 EST 2003

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Rob Siemborski wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 simon.brady at otago.ac.nz wrote:
>
> > Since it's hard to predict peak usage, I'm tempted to run the daemon with
> > the -n0 option so it can spawn as required. However, a colleague has
> > pointed out that if something blows up then spawn-on-demand could kill the
> > server - with a fixed-size pool, auth requests would fail but the system
> > would keep going.
>
> At CMU, before we went to using the doors IPC method (due to unix domain
> socket issues under load on solaris), we used a value for -n of 2x our 5
> minute connection rate peak (which we have from historical graphs).
>
> If you are on Solaris, I highly recommend the doors IPC method over the
> UNIX socket method, since we began to see very bizarre problems under
> load.

You might run into problems if you use ldap api and doors, ldap module
may not be thread safe.  In addition, thread safe ldap libs need to be
used when saslauthd-doors is built.

I'd like to enhance saslauthd to use loopback interface at some point,
this will solve the problem with unix sockets and you do not need to worry
about thread safety.

--
Igor