Impossible to move messages to trash when overquota

Scott Russell lnxgeek at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 1 17:27:51 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 11:14:38PM +0100, Stefano Tabacchiera wrote:
> Hi all,
> my box is running cyrus-2.1.11 and I set up quota for my users.
> When someone is overquota, it's impossible to MOVE messages to Trash and
> then delete them. The only way is to NOT use Trash, mark messages as
> deleted and then expunge.
> Question is: why ???

This has come up before. The move command is actually a two step
operation where the file is first copied to the 'Trash' folder and
then deleted from the source directory. The copy operation fails
because the user is over quota.

> Is there a workaround for this?
> Almost all of my users use 'move-to-Trash->then-empty-Trash'. So I dont
> want to force them to change.
> Any clue?

This is an education issue for your users. Show them how to recover
from an over quota situation without using the move-to-Trash features
of their client. Also setup cyrus to provide warnings to users who are
approaching their quota limits.

--
  Scott Russell (lnxgeek at us.ibm.com)
  Linux Technology Center, System Admin, RHCE.