Impossible to move messages to trash when overquota

twk twk at ncsu.edu
Thu Jan 2 09:55:35 EST 2003

tosi at hi.is wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 10:17:28AM -0000, tosi at hi.is wrote:
>
>>>This has come up before. The move command is actually a two step
>>
>>operation where the file is first copied to the 'Trash' folder and
>>then deleted from the source directory. The copy operation fails
>>
>>>because the user is over quota.
>>>

>>Since the mailbox is all on the same filesystem, why not use hard
>>links to move the file when the move command is used, like sendmail
>>does, instead of copy and delete ? It would give better performance,
>>and take care of the overquota problem.
>
> There is no 'move' command in the IMAP RFC iirc. A 'move' operation is
> just client side semantics for 'copy and then delete'.
>

> True. Dumb me :-)
>
> Perhaps it should be implemented ? :)

It's easier to just not use the trash (even though people like it for
some reason.) I have found that "mark as deleted" is the only reliable
way of deleting mail in mainstream IMAP clients. "Move to Trash" causes
the problems you are having. "Delete immediately" often results in the
message being removed from the local cache while leaving the original on
the server. I have seen situations in which there are thousands of
messages in a users' account that they "thought" were deleted.

Regards,
Tom

Tom Karches                    email : twk at ncsu.edu
Web Systems Administrator      phone : 919.515.5508
NCSU Information Technology