restoring from backup individual messages/folders

Earl Shannon Earl_Shannon at ncsu.edu
Fri Jan 3 10:25:11 EST 2003

Hello,

This is practically verbatim what we do at NCSU.
We create a folder named BACKUP in their regular inbox and then
restore their account from the requested date to that folder.
Subscriptions need to be updated and quotas set for the
BACKUP folder. We then delete it after two weeks. :)
We do limit the number of restoration attempts to find something
though, to two. We also only keep four weeks of data on tape.

We use Veritas with a tape library for the backups. Worlds away
better than what we were doing with ufsdump/ufsrestore.

The idea of not actually deleting a message when a user flags it
to go away has other implications besides easy restoration.
How does that affect user quota, for example? File space usage
for the machine in general, ie, how much data should you keep?
Measure that in terms of time or space, or some mix of the two?
Satisfactory answers to these questions would probably require
a substantion redesign of the IMAP server software.

Regards,
Earl Shannon
--
Systems Programmer, Computing Services, Information Technology
NC State University.