Yet another mail-restore question...

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Tue Jan 7 03:17:03 EST 2003

Earl Shannon schrieb:

> Hello,
>
> Sadly we've a little experience in IMAP server recovery.
> Most of what I'm listing makes common sense but I'll say
> it anyway.

Hi,

I'm currently planning a new mailsystem so I'm interested in quick
recovery in case something goes wrong.

My idea was the following:
- Using XFS or ext3 filesystem (XFS is the preferred one)
- Using LVM
- Having two servers. One real server and a 'snapshot' server.
The snapshot server is built with cheap, big IDE drives. Using rsync,
snapshots (well, sort of) are taken periodically and in the case of
failure, data can be restored quickly from this box.

Simon