Why are only admins allowed to AUTH to lmtpd?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at cox.net
Fri Jan 3 14:48:38 EST 2003

I have modified my configuration here so that now my MTA (Exim 4.12) uses
RFC2554 authentication to identify itself to lmtpd. This was done so that Exim
could supply AUTH=<local part> on the MAIL FROM: line, thus eliminating the need
to add "anyone p" ACLs to subfolders in order to allow direct subfolder delivery.

This is all working fine, except that I had to add my dummy authentication user
(which I create solely for Exim to authenticate itself to lmtpd with) to the
"admins" entry in /etc/imapd.conf. I had to do this because lmptd specifically
allows only admins to authenticate.

Is there any particular reason why? It's not a big deal for me, but when I
document this configuration for other people I'm sure this will raise some eyebrows.