Cyrus Authentication Problem

Jon "GenKIller" Gaudette webmaster at digital-drip.com
Sun Jan 5 12:25:30 EST 2003

I have recently installed Cyrus-imapd on a new server that I have been
trying to setup as a e-mail server.  The server is running RedHat Linux
8.0 with postfix as the MTA (although sendmail is installed and ready to
be used in case the need arises).

I used the rpm version of cyrus (cyrus-imapd-2.1.11-3.src.rpm) available
from http://home.teleport.ch/simix/ and the installation went very
smoothly (no errors during installation).

However, I am now having a problem with authentication.  When I attempt
to log in to the pop3 server via telnet, I receive the following error:

----
Script started on Sun Jan  5 12:03:28 2003
[jon at warlord jon]$ telnet auburn.k12.ma.us 110
Trying 216.20.114.12...

Connected to [url] (ip).

Escape character is '^]'.

+OK mail.auburn.k12.ma.us Cyrus POP3 v2.1.11-Invoca-RPM-2.1.11-3 server
ready <431320776.1041786203 at mail.url>
user cyrus
+OK Name is a valid mailbox
pass <passwd>
-ERR [AUTH] Invalid login
quit
Connection closed by foreign host.

[jon at warlord jon]$ exit

Script done on Sun Jan  5 12:05:07 2003
---

When doing an imtest on the local machine, I get the following error

---
bash-2.05b$ imtest -m login -p imap localhost
S: * OK mail.url Cyrus IMAP4 v2.1.11-Invoca-RPM-2.1.11-3 server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND SORT
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES IDLE STARTTLS LISTEXT
LIST-SUBSCRIBED ANNOTATEMORE X-NETSCAPE
S: C01 OK Completed
Please enter your password:
C: L01 LOGIN cyrus {8}
S: + go ahead
C: <omitted>
S: L01 NO Login failed: no mechanism available
Authentication failed. generic failure
Security strength factor: 0
C: Q01 LOGOUT
* BYE LOGOUT received
Q01 OK Completed
Connection closed
---

My /etc/imapd.conf file contains the following:

---
configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: cyrus
allowanonymouslogin: no
sieveuserhomedir: no
sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
hashimapspool: true
sasl_pwcheck_method: shadow
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
tls_cert_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_key_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
---

I thought that perhaps the user 'cyrus' is not used as a regular
authenticated imap user, so I did teh following as user "CYRUS"

---
bash-2.05b$ cyradm localhost
IMAP Password:

Login failed: no mechanism available at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm line 114
cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with  as cyrus
---

I'm assuming all of these errors are interlinked with the authentication
mechanism.  However, I have no idea how to fix this, and am hoping some
of you on this list can help me out.

Thank you in advance for any help any of you can provide.  If I have the
wrong list for this type of help, please direct me to the appropriate
list.  Thank you in advance.

--
-Jon "GenKiller" Gaudette
Digital Drip Webmaster (digital-drip.com)