delete selected folder leaves empty dir on disk

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Fri Jan 10 15:27:00 EST 2003

Rob Siemborski wrote:

>Yeah, we know about this.  There's no good way around it, since a totally
>separate imapd could be selected on the folder as well, and the directory
>would still be left around.

So is it ok to sweep the filesystem and delete any empty directories?
 Would that leave a race condition with an imapd creating a new folder?

It seems like it should be safe to rmdir() the directory even if some
process is sitting on it or has it open -- there might need to be
additional error checking to handle a directory disappearing
unexpectedly, but that doesn't seem to be a big problem.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931