Vacation example with sendmail as MTA

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Sat Jan 11 15:13:28 EST 2003

marc.bigler at day.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had a look through Cyrus documentation and FAQ but I didn't find anything
> mentioning how to set up vacation messages for the users hosted on our mail
> server using Sendmail 8.12.7 and Cyrus IMAP 2.1.11.
>
> Can someone in some few words explain me how I can active a vacation
> message for a user ?
>
> From what I understood I will need sieve to acheive that, right ?

Yes.  Read the latest <cough> expired draft:  (how's it going Tim? ;)
ftp://ftp.oceana.com/pub/drafts/draft-showalter-sieve-vacation-04.txt

For testing, use sieveshell to install and activate your script.

> Another important point is that it would be nice if the user has an
> interface where he can active/deactive/update his vacation message, does
> something like that exist ?

Yes, a handful.  Do a search for 'sieve' at sourceforge.net.  One of the
most commonly used interfaces is Websieve which I use hear for my
users.  You could also try easysieve
(http://mail.cc.umanitoba.ca/source/).  I haven't tried it, but based on
other code that I've seen from Gary, its probably well written.

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127