how to make sendmail authenticate to lmtpd

Gautam Das gautam at ufl.edu
Wed Jan 15 16:04:38 EST 2003

We are trying to get a murder configuration going.

Thus far we have the backend, frontend, and mupdate (running on a
frontend) servers mostly working.

Here are the outstanding issues to resolve - and all have to do with
authentication.

1. Mailbox move from one backend to another using cyradm on a frontend
fails with following errors:
- couldn't authenticate to backend server: no mechanism available
- Could not move mailbox: user.test100, Initial backend connect failed
Note: we were having authenticaion problems with imap proxy till I
hacked imapd.c as below:
/* secprops = mysasl_secprops(SASL_SEC_NOPLAINTEXT); */
   secprops = mysasl_secprops(0);

There was a discussion thread with the above tip from Rob (Thanks Rob).
However it made imap proxy work but not mailbox move from one backend to
another.

2. sendmail fails to deliver messages via lmtpproxyd due to
authentication problems.This is a typical mail deliver test that fails
on the frontend server running lmtpproxyd.

root at spnode21$ mail -v test100
Subject: test
test
.
Cc:
test100... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] port 2003 via cyrusv2...
220 spnode21 LMTP Cyrus v2.1.11 ready
>>> LHLO ufl.edu
250-spnode21
250-8BITMIME
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH PLAIN
250 IGNOREQUOTA
>>> MAIL From:<root at ufl.edu> SIZE=32 AUTH=root at ufl.edu
430 Authentication required
test100... Deferred: 430 Authentication required
Closing connection to [127.0.0.1]
>>> QUIT
221 2.0.0 bye

The cyrusv2 mailer is defined in sendmail.cf as

Mcyrusv2,      P=[IPC], F=lsDFMnqXzA@/:|m,
               S=EnvFromSMTP/HdrFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL, E=\r\n,
               T=DNS/RFC822/SMTP,
               A=TCP [127.0.0.1] lmtp

The above mailer (lmtp via a tcp socket) works fine on backend machines,
which is using preauthenticated lmtpd i.e. "lmtpd -a" in cyrus.conf.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Gautam Das                              gautam at ufl.edu
Senior Systems Programmer