UW to Cyrus transition

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Thu Jan 16 08:43:01 EST 2003

tosi at hi.is wrote:

>In the last week of december, I ported 10000 ( c.a. ) users from UW to
>Cyrus.
>
>As I had a REALLY hard time finding ANY help whatsoever ( scripts etc ), I
>wrote some of my own.
>
>I must say, they DO take time. I was running them on a Sun Fire 880 with
>4x900MHz CPUs and 8GB RAM, and all files local. It takes around 8-10 hours
>per 2500 users with around 20GB of data total.
>
>So for 10000 users with around 80GB of data, up to 40 hours of conversion
>time is a fairly close estimate.
>
>I am sure that the scripts are not completely bug-free, but they did work
>for me.
>
>BEWARE: usernames with dots in them are NOT very well handled.

Did you have unixhierarchysep set?  If not, then period isn't a legal
character in a username.

I converted 2300 users with 80G of mail over the course of 3 days, using
a proxy solution.  The accounts were moved over one at a time, with mail
delivery held up and imap/pop login blocked while each account was
moved.  The proxies were a hacked perdition (to keep track of sessions
so they could be killed and to treat a servername beginning with ! as a
reject message to show to the client attempting to login) and a custom
perl delivery agent which consulted the same database used by perdition
and connected via LMTP (to procmail on the UW-IMAP side) to the two
hosts.  Based on the tests I had done (same V880 configuration on both
old and new servers) it would have taken over 60 hours to convert
everyone at once (using a hacked mboxcvt and a bunch of custom perl
scripts), and that amount of downtime was unacceptable.  That was also
putting /var/imap on a tmpfs filesystem and striping /cyrus across 14
FC-connected drives.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931