Scott Adkins adkinss at ohio.edu
Thu Jan 16 14:55:49 EST 2003

I find it useful to look at the Received headers to track the path the
email might have taken to get from the desktop to the mailbox when we
are having problems.  Particularly, I look at the delays between hops
to find out if one of our machines is holding onto mail a lot longer
than it should be.  I know that the first hop (desktop to the server)
may not reflect an accurate time, since it looks like to me that the
time on the PC is what is often reflected in the first Received header.
The problem I am having is determining when a message physically gets
delivered by LMTP to the mailbox.

I can see the last Received line in the path, which is one mail server
handing the message off to the last mail server which contains the IMAP
server (LMTP is running on localhost only).  Then after that, I see the
Return-Path line in the header, which I know gets added by LMTP when it
delivers the message.  What is missing is the time that this occurred,
as I have no idea how long it sat in the sendmial queue on the server
before it was handed to LMTP.

Would it be possible to have LMTP add a similar Received line right
before it adds the Return-Path line that indicates the time of delivery?
I haven't read the RFC's to see if there are any specific rules for how
the Received lines would look, but it would be nice to see it indicate
that the message was received by LMTP for delivery at a specific time.

Thoughts?

Scott
      Scott W. Adkins                http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/
   UNIX Systems Engineer                  mailto:adkinss at ohio.edu
        ICQ 7626282                 Work (740)593-9478 Fax (740)593-1944
     PGP Public Key available at http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/pgp/