Problem with invalid headers - SOLVED

John Straiton jsmailing at clickcom.com
Mon Jan 20 14:46:42 EST 2003

> On 17 Jan 2003, John Straiton writes:
>
> > This one has been driving me crazy. I have a Cyrus/Postfix
> system in
> > place that is working quite well. However, I have one customer who
> > tries to deliver a particular message to an individual and I get a
> > kick back that looks like this:
> >
> > Jan 13 11:22:33 courier postfix/pipe[72222]: 2DBF85058B:
> > to=<asncin at mx1.clickcom.com>, relay=cyrus, delay=0, status=bounced
> > (data format error. Command output: asncin: Message
> contains invalid
> > header )
>
> >> From: <abrowning at adomain.com>
> >> To: <monica at anotherdomain.org>
> >> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:19:55 "GMT"
>
> I think that is a pretty unusual Date: header.  I've never
> seen one with actual quote marks around the zone.  I just ran
> through some mail archives with a few thousand messages,
> grepping out the Date: headers... none did that.  And from my
> reading of RFC 822 and RFC2822 I don't think they are permitted.

Ok, I finally figured this one out working from the leads that Jonathan
and Andreas gave me. Turns out it was this subject line:

Subject: company name Event RSVP 1/22/2003  11:30 AM - 1 PM

For some reason, it just really wouldn't take that subject line due to
the part on the end. Trimming the line after RSVP made the message go
through without error. I don't know why that end part would have thrown
the error unless there's some hidden-ness in there (though I don't know
how it would have lived through the many cut-n-pastes into notepad and
SecureCRT).

Thanks for the help guys!

John