SASL2+POSTFIX PAM authentication failure

Bryntez tom at bryntez.com
Sun Jan 19 05:11:43 EST 2003

Subject: Re: SASL2+POSTFIX PAM authentication failure

: k1680792 wrote:
:
: >Hi all,
: > I am going to use SASL  pam method to complete Postfix's authentication.
: > I compiled Cyrus-sasl-2.1.10 with the following options.
: >--disable-sample
: >--disable-saslauthd
: >--disable-cram
: >--disable-digest
: >--disable-krb4
: >--disable-gssapi
: >--disable-anon
: >--enable-plain
: >--enable-login
: >--enable-pwcheck
: >--disable-otp
: >--with-pam
: > I created the file smtpd.conf  under /usr/lib/sasl.(the link of
: >/usr/local/lib/sasl2)
: >pwcheck_method:pam
: > I also created the smtp under /etc/pam.d
: >#%PAM-1.0
: >auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
: >account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
: > I compiled Cyrus-sasl-1.5.28 and postfix-1.1.12 with the about
: >configuration and it works well,but it fails in Cyrsu-sasl-2.1.10 +
: >Postfix-2.0.2.Would anyone give me some hints?
: > And the maillog is
: >SASL authentication problem:unknown password verifier
: >postfix/smtpd[15914]: warning: SASL authentication failure:
: >Password verification failed
: >
: >
: If you want to use PAM, you need to use saslauthd and run it with
: saslauthd -a pam.  I don't use postfix, but for IMAP you specify
: sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd in /etc/imapd.conf, so perhaps you need
: pwcheck_method: saslauthd.
:
: --
: John A. Tamplin
: Unix Systems Administrator

For postfix to work, you need to make the sasldb file in /etc by
adding a user with saslpasswd. It should be sufficient.

bryntez