Problem with cyrus and deleting a message with a virus.

mb/cyrus at dcs.qmul.ac.uk mb/cyrus at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Tue Jan 21 18:46:32 EST 2003

At 16:56 -0500 Brian wrote:
>Mark London said:
>
>> I'm not messing with it, uvscan is doing it.  Is there a better software
>> alternative that will delete viruses on the server?  Are we the only
>> people using cyrus that are running virus scanning software on the
>> server?

But uvscan is treating your cyrus store as a fileserver, and you shouldn't
do that. Your Cyrus store is a black box which happens to have enough
structure to make a tape restore feasible, but even that is living
dangerously. I've told my users (who are CS academics and students) that
our shiny new IMAP service "has got algorithms" and leave it at that :)
Then they see the dramatic speed increase over our old system, and
suddenly the need to quiz my silly slogan vapourises!

>There was a discussion on this last week.  Search the archives.

Yes.. unfortunately I don't have time to write an ICAP client, especially
as I only have access to uvscan, which doesn't daemonise (and so would
probably not benefit from an ICAP server unless there was a big farm of
'em..). (I would have replied earlier, but have been plagued both by
illness and our students' return..)

Maybe if your uvscan is running as a cron job, you can wrapper it in a
privileged IMAP client which fetches every message into a ramdisk, runs
uvscan on it and if necessary then move the file from your ramdisk into a
quarantine area, uses IMAP to delete & expunge the users' mail and finally
mails the user to say what's happened.. if your client has "got
algorithms" it could track Message IDs (amongst other things) so that you
don't repeatedly scan mail which hasn't changed.