Working Vacation?? [solved?]

Gary Mills mills at cc.UManitoba.CA
Thu Jan 23 09:25:05 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 08:02:42PM +0900, Mark Keasling wrote:

> Sendmail is removing the domain part from smtp envelope TO
> addresses (RCPT TO) when they are sent to the local deliverer
> in my case LMTP.  Apparently, there is no way to avoid this
> obnoxious behavior.  Hacking on sendmail.cf has had no effect.

Yes, sendmail assumes that the domain name is not needed for the
envelope recipient for local delivery.

> No vacation reply gets sent because lmtpd substitutes "unspecified-domain"
> for the domain which was removed by sendmail.  Its "to me" check
> fails because user at unspecified-domain is definitely not in the
> message's headers.

Yes, when I was debugging this, I found that CCing the message to
user at unspecified-domain would cause vacation to work!

> The following patches seem to fix the sieve vacation problem.
> It would be nice if these patches could be incorporated into
> the main source so that other people who use sendmail can have
> vacations too.  If someone spots a problem with these patches
> or notices a deficiency PLEASE let me know how they should be
> fixed as I'll be putting them into production use RSN.

I'm using a similar set of patches.  I did submit them to the Cyrus
maintainers, but they were rejected as unnecessary.

> There will be some interactions with aliases where user at domain.com
> user at subdomain.domain.com and user at hostname.subdomain.domain.com
> are all equivalent and all are used.  Mail sent to one address will
> get vacation replies while mail sent to the others will not.  I
> know of no simple way to solve this unless sendmail is kind enough
> to rewrite the addresses in the message header.

Sendmail can rewrite header addresses for local delivery.  This works
well.  It's only the envelope recipient that has the domain stripped.