looking for Cyrus mail format documentation

Phil Howard phil-info-cyrus at ipal.net
Fri Jan 31 19:55:49 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 09:57:40AM -0500, John Alton Tamplin wrote:

| Earl R Shannon wrote:
|
| > But that does now beg the question. There must be some form of
| > coordination between the various processes as they access the
| > mail store. Can this not be abstracted out and put in an API to
| > make it easier for people to write their own applications?  I would
| > venture a guess to say that the API already exists in some form,
| > it just needs to be formalized and published.
|
| The point is if you expose the internal API for accessing the mailstore
| you are stuck with it and can't make changes.  I can't imagine there is
| a big need for this or other people wanting to write code to implement
| that API, so if you really want to do this it is probably better as Rob
| suggested to just link to the Cyrus code that manipulates it (and watch
| for version skew between programs accessing the mail store).

One of the needs I have is to build a two-way mail store replica.  Either
node may be delivered to, and either node may be accessed by the user but
only one at a time.  The two nodes are topologically and geographically
far apart, and bandwidth between them is to be considered costly and thus
should be not much more than the cost of actually transferring content.
If mail arrives at one, it should be replicated to the other ASAP.  If
mail is deleted at one, it should be deleted from the other ASAP.  If
mail is moved around between folders unchanged, it should be moved the
same on the other without transferring content.  Now here is the big one:
If the two nodes are unreachable between each other, changes have to be
stored in a way they can be re-syncronized when reachability is again
established.  And this may involve some changes to both and some issues
that have to be dealt with as best as possible such as noting dates of
changes (it can be assumed the two nodes are time syncronized).

This is one of needs I have.