sendmail & webmail

Dan Bishop dbishop at bbcnet.edu
Fri Jan 31 12:45:34 EST 2003

For some of our users webmail has replaced client-based (Netscape) email
as their program of choice. We set up webmail so that our users could
access their email off campus, but more and more users prefer it for on
campus email.

Now we have suddenly had a problem with webmail -- not sending email
messages to local (on campus) addresses.  Students can not send messages
to other students, faculty or staff; faculty and staff can not send
messages to each other or to students.  We can send to off campus
addresses, and (I think) we are receiving mail from all senders off
campus (and on campus when sent via Netscape).

Here are the last samples of messages in the "maillog" on Thursday
(before I made the changes indicated below):

---
((The first message was sent, and was received - it is to an off campus
addess))
to:"name"@mchsi.com, ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:00:03,
xdelay=00:00:03, mailer=esmtp, pri=30008, relay=gateway.mchsi.com
[204.127.203.150], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (Message received:
20030130181112 FDVX14145.sccmgwc01.mchsi.com at edison.bbcnet.edu)

alias database / etc/mail/ailases.db out of date

from=root, size=8, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<200301301815,
hOUIFDY01277 at edison.bbcnet.edu>, relay=root at localhost

SYSERR (mail): Cannot execute /usr/cyrus/bin/deliver: No such file or
directory

to=dbishop at bbcnet.edu, ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:00:00,
xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=cyrus, pri=30008, dsn=4.0.0, stat=Operating
system error
((The above message was not sent, it was not received))
---

I've updated the aliases.db file, and corrected the SYSERR (mail) -- the
"deliver" file was missing, but I renamed one called "deliver.old" to
"deliver".  (Actually I compared the "deliver.old" file on our webmail
server to the "deliver" file on our email server, and when they were
exact, I renamed the "deliver.old" to "deliver" on the webmail server.)
 Should I try copying the "deliver" file from the working email server
to the webmail server?

Now the error messages are gone, but mail is still not delivered - the
status is "Deferred" --

((I just tried to sent this message to myself this morning))
to=dbishop at bbcnet.edu, ctladdr=root, (0/0), delay=17:21:19,
xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=cyrus, pri16251772, dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred

The /usr/spool/mqueue directory is filling up with messages; most are
system-generated messages sent to me (all "stat=Deferred").  Again,
webmail messages sent off campus are sent and received, as indicated in
the maillog file.

We have two identical Linux servers: RedHat 5.1, sendmail 8.10.1, Cyrus
IMAP and IMP (Horde) 2.2 for Webmail on just one. (Old I know, but it
was working -- "if it ain't broke don't fix it" was our attitude and we
were hoping to wait till summer to do a major upgrade.)  One is our
email server and one is our web server -- with webmail.

Sendmail works fine on the email server; web pages are fine the the web
server, but webmail and any email sent from within a web page does not
sent to on campus email addresses.

Since faculty and admins, as well as students, use Webmail from off
campus, this is beginning to become a "black eye" for our dept.  Any
help would be appreciated.

--
Thanks,

Dan Bishop