imapd's hang when maxchild count is reached

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Fri Jan 31 17:25:29 EST 2003

Hi,

we are currently testing our installation of cyrus-imapd 2.1.11 using a
self-written Perl script that's imitating real use. We intend to contribute
the script when we've cleaned it up a little. Anyway, during our tests we
noticed something strange. In /etc/cyrus.conf we have the line:

  imap          cmd="imapd" listen="cyrus.rrz.uni-koeln.de:imap" prefork=10
maxchild=200

When the number of impad processes reaches 200, no more processes are
spawned, just as it should be. However, sometimes, not immediately, but
definitely after a while *all* imapd processes will hang if we try to open
more connections to port 143. This is 100% reproducible. If we kill one of
the scripts and the number of processes goes down, all the imapd's get
unstuck, but not until that happens.

I've checked the archives but haven't seen mention of this problem. Is this
a known issue? Is there a workaround?

This is on Red Hat Advanced Server 2.1:
cyrus.rrz.uni-koeln.de> ver
name       : Cyrus IMAPD
version    : v2.1.11-Invoca-RPM-2.1.11-16 2002/12/04 14:53:12
vendor     : Project Cyrus
support-url: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus
os         : Linux
os-version : 2.4.9-e.10enterprise
environment: Cyrus SASL 2.1.10
             Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.0.14: (November 18, 2001)
             OpenSSL 0.9.6b [engine] 9 Jul 2001
             CMU Sieve 2.2
             TCP Wrappers
             mmap = shared
             lock = fcntl
             nonblock = fcntl
             auth = unix
             idle = poll
             dirhash = full
             mboxlist.db = skiplist
             subs.db = flat
             seen.db = skiplist
             duplicate.db = db3-nosync
             tls.db = db3-nosync

--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK