looking for Cyrus mail format documentation

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Feb 1 11:31:13 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Phil Howard wrote:

> | Of course replicating some things such as seen state will be quite
> | painful, and you may need to do some hacks to keep uids unique between
> | the machines.
>
> How does Cyrus manage uids?  I hope these are not uids in /etc/passwd.

No, they're the unique identifier numbers for each message.  I believe the
problem John was asking about is, what happens if you have, say, an APPEND
happen to a mailbox on both servers while they are not in communication
with eachother.

When they resync, each has a new message with the same unique identifier,
but different contents.  This isn't a situation that can be recoverd from
just be looking at the contents of the filesystem.

Doing replicated IMAP stores (espeically geographicly distanct ones) is
not an easy problem.

-Rob