looking for Cyrus mail format documentation

Phil Howard phil-info-cyrus at ipal.net
Tue Feb 4 04:19:12 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 02:16:36AM -0500, Rob Siemborski wrote:

| On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Phil Howard wrote:
|
| > Does the RFC say that the IMAP UIDs have to be the file name?
|
| No, of course not.
|
| > Do the IMAP UIDs have to be the same between different sessions?
|
| They cannot change without also chanigng the UIDVALIDITY of the mailbox,
| which is an expensive operation for disconnected clients (it forces them
| to resync)
|
| So yes, every time you need to resync, you can increment the uidvalidity,
| but your disconnected users are going to hate you for it, and this isn't a
| tremendously good solution for the real world (where temporary outages
| between distant nodes is the norm).

So the message with UID 123 during one session has to still have UID 123
during the next session.  That indeed will break the ability to have
unique remote syncronization.

What's curious to me is how, with a Maildir format, that IMAP could be
implemented to retain that state without either storing some extra data
or updating the files in place.  I had thought that real unique message
IDs were the same as in RFC 822.  I didn't read RFC 2060 because I had
been talked out of implementing my own IMAP daemon.  But I guess I
should have read it, anyway, to understand its limitations.  Probably
better do that soon before I design something else that can't work :-)