looking for Cyrus mail format documentation

Phil Howard phil-info-cyrus at ipal.net
Tue Feb 4 10:21:52 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 08:25:35AM -0500, Brian wrote:

| Phil Howard said:
|
| > What's curious to me is how, with a Maildir format, that IMAP could be
| > implemented to retain that state without either storing some extra data
| > or updating the files in place.
|
| Maildir has seperate folders that contain the state of a message (cur,
| new, tmp) where cyrus has indexes in each directory, right?  Six of one,
| half dozen of the other.
|
| Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how an IMAP server that uses
| maildir would offer you any advantages in this regard that Cyrus wouldn't.

The advantage would be an external mechanism would more easily be able
to syncronize two separate mailstores without going through the IMAP
interface.  Apparently this advantage isn't great enough to overcome
the lower performance of an IMAP daemon having to suck metadata out
of each of those files, verses just reading the index.  And presumably
a Maildir based IMAP would have to resyncronize message ID numbers
each time, unless it stored that number in the file.