imapd's hang when maxchild count is reached

Stephen L. Ulmer ulmer at ufl.edu
Wed Feb 5 16:57:15 EST 2003

 "leg+" == Lawrence Greenfield <leg+ at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

  leg+> Yes, that would be desirable. The easiest way of doing this
  leg+> would be to close the socket used to accept() new
  leg+> connections. However, it's open in all of the children, so
  leg+> closing it is infeasible.

  leg+> The next option would be to have master accept() and then
  leg+> immediately close() the connection. This raises interesting
  leg+> blocking concerns and is thus somewhat harder to implement.

  leg+> Thus the current solution seems acceptable.

Hmmm... what does Sendmail do?  It's got lots of children, but still
manages to refuse connections when it gets busy (RefuseLA)...  I kinda
like that behavior.  I definitely like it better than keeping more and
more sockets open.

Stephen L. Ulmer                              ulmer at nersp.nerdc.ufl.edu
Senior Systems Programmer                         http://www.ulmer.org/
Northeast Regional Data Center                      VOX: (352) 392-2061
University of Florida                               FAX: (352) 392-9440