2 more questions: domains and tags

Phil Howard phil-info-cyrus at ipal.net
Sat Feb 1 08:10:59 EST 2003

I do not see any documentation on the website, nor in the FAQ,
about how this is handled.  The concern I have is that so many
mail systems of UNIX origin handle this poorly, so I want to
make sure I'm not heading down a dead end path.

1.  How does Cyrus-IMAP handle multiple domains on the same mail
    server?  In particular, bob at example.com and bob at example.net
    being totally different, must be different mailboxes, and
    must login distinctively, preferrably as "bob at example.com"
    and as "bob at example.net" respectively (not "bob1" and "bob2").

    Is this done so transparently with Cyrus-IMAP that it didn't
    even need mention?  Or is it not done at all?

    Also, is there a way to allow an administrative access that
    applies to just users of a specific domain?

2.  How does Cyrus-IMAP handle tagged email addresses?  What I
    mean are addresses with "-" (or in some configurations "+")
    appended to the LHS of the email address, followed by some
    arbitrary identifiers the user establishes.  Currently in
    my shell based email setup, a user can set up a .forward-foo
    file which specifies how the mail tagged with -foo is handled
    or where delivered.  If the .forward-foo files does not exist
    then it is just handled as if it was not tagged, by the
    "Delivered-To:" header still includes the tag.

    Will Cyrus-IMAP deliver these tagged addresses into different
    mailboxes, inboxes, or folders, if they exist?  Will it still
    deliver to the principle mailbox if not?  Or will it try to
    create tha tagged folder if it does not exist?  Also, Is there
    a way for the user to specify a forwarding address instead of
    a local delivery?

FYI: my MTA is Postfix.