Anyone using Linux LVM with cyrus?

Jared Watkins jwatkins at snowcrash.homeip.net
Thu Feb 6 17:02:01 EST 2003

Hans Wilmer wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 04:36:03PM -0400, Patrick Boutilier wrote:
>

>>We are using LVM to give the ability to add disk space and expand our
>>reiserfs when necessary.
>>

>Is it possible to add disc space with ext3fs and LVM, too?
>

>>We are using LVM on top of hardware RAID 5 so as long as 2 disks don't
>>fail at once we should be OK.
>>

>Hm, sounds nice :)
>
>To be more specific, what I've in mind is a setup like that, for
>60--100 users:
>

>+  18 or 36 GB SCSI: system itselfe and about 20--25 GB /var for
>   incoming/outgoing mail (incl. virus scanning) and the more actively
>   used part of the cyrus mail store, quota of about 100 MB/user or
>   10 GB shared by the user.* hierarchy on it
>
>+  120 GB IDE to keep another cyrus mail store partition (archive)
>   Users should move older mail from the default partition to
>   the archive. Some shared folders will probably reside on the IDE
>   discs, too. The archives will provide a quota of 1 GB/user.
>

>Two identical 120 GB IDE discs should be used to keep and mirror the
>archive. The SCSI disc should be mirrored also (at least the /var
>partition), though I'm not sure yet whether it's better to use a
>second SCSI disc for that or if it's a good idea to divide the IDEs
>into partitions of 100 GB and 20 GB each, so that the SCSI disc can be
>mirrored to the 20 GB partitions on the IDEs.
>
>Daily backups will probably be done to another 120 GB IDE disc. I'll
>use ext3fs for all partitions --- reiserfs or even xfs may have
>advantages, but I like ext3 more, and the expected number of files
>that have to be handled should be still ok for ext3.
>
>Is this a reasonable setup, and can it reliably be done with LVM? Or
>is it better to use raidtools2 for it?
>
>Or would you suggest to use hardware IDE RAID instead, maybe by
>forgoing SCSI?
>
>Any suggestions are appreciated --- I don't know how flexible LVM can
>make things, so a totally different setup might be even better.
>

>GH

Check out these...
http://www.dcdrives.com/Itemdesc.asp?CartId={4617EDC8-CAA1-4AD1-B0BC-3DC040294195}&ic=DPD2%2DBAY3&Tp=

I have been using two of these since 98 without any problems...   my
drive sizes are rather small by todays standards.. but I don't know if
that would make a difference. You just plug these inline.. between your
ide controller and your drives and it gives you raid1.

Jared