informing users about quotas

John A. Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Thu Feb 6 22:03:47 EST 2003

Quoting Hans Wilmer <lee at yun.yagibdah.de>:

> how can users securely be informed about their quota usage?
>
> It seems to be left to the clients to ignore or to not ignore the
> warnings from cyrus. Unfortunately, the mozilla client ignores the
> warnings, and incoming mail would be silently rejected once the user
> is over quota.
>
> Is there a tool (for cyrus 1.5.x as comes with Debian Woody) that
> could be run by cron to send the users who are about to reach their
> quota limit a warning message?

What we do is run a perl script that parses the output of quota and sends email
to everyone over quota.  Our custom delivery program recognizes the from address
(our help desk) and sets the ignorequota option on the LMTP connection so the
mail is delivered regardless.

Even before we had that running, the users who were over quota noticed pretty
quickly they weren't getting mail and called the help desk :).

--
John A. Tamplin
Unix System Administrator