Outlook 2002 vs. Cyrus 2.1.12

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Feb 10 14:06:31 EST 2003

Per Steinar Iversen wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Per Steinar Iversen wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Ken Murchison wrote:
> >
> > > The obvious difference here is that Cyrus 2.1 supports the IDLE
> > > extension and Outlook is using it.  I'm not sure why the client would be
> > > IDLEing in between APPENDs, but I've grown accustomed to seeing silly
> > > behavior from Outlook and Netscape.  What method for IDLE did you
> > > configure with? (doing a 'version' command in cyradm will tell us
> > > everything we need).  You might want to try reconfiguring/recompiling
> > > Cyrus using --with-idle=no and see if this makes a difference.
> > >
> > > Ken
> >

> > I use the very nice RPM found at http://home.teleport.ch/simix/ :
> >
> > name       : Cyrus IMAPD
> > version    : v2.1.12-Invoca-RPM-2.1.12-1 2003/02/03 20:43:58
> > vendor     : Project Cyrus
> > support-url: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus
> > os         : Linux
> > os-version : 2.4.18-24.8.0smp
> > environment: Cyrus SASL 2.1.12
> >              Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.0.14: (November 18, 2001)
> >              OpenSSL 0.9.6b [engine] 9 Jul 2001
> >              CMU Sieve 2.2
> >              TCP Wrappers
> >              mmap = shared
> >              lock = fcntl
> >              nonblock = fcntl
> >              auth = unix
> >              idle = poll
> >              mboxlist.db = skiplist
> >              subs.db = flat
> >              seen.db = skiplist
> >              duplicate.db = db3-nosync
> >              tls.db = db3-nosync
> >
> > I will try to build version where IDLE is turned off.
>
> I checked now and it is really IDLE that confuses Outlook. The mail copies
> without any problems now that IDLE is disabled.

I just did some testing myself with Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express 6.
I couldn't get either client to hang after doing APPENDs (with IDLE
enabled).  OE does close the connection after calling IDLE after the
final APPEND however.

I'm not convinced that this is a server issue.  I'd like to see what
happens against a different server that supports IDLE (eg, UW IMAP).

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127