Backup of Cryus IMAP (restore?)

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Wed Feb 12 14:24:15 EST 2003

Thomas Hannan wrote:

>So to backup Cyrus, I should do the following?:
>ctl_mboxlist -d /var/backup/mydbbackupfile
>cp -dPr /var/imap /var/backup/imap
>cp -dPr /var/spool/imap /var/backup/spool/imap
>
>Would it be better to tar them first, or just copy and then tar later?
>And to do a full restore? How would I do so? (I assume I'd have to stop the
>service to restore)...

I have a cron job that does ctl_mboxlist -d >/var/imap/mailboxes.txt and
then I just let our normal backup software (Veritas Netbackup
DataCenter) backup that file as it would any other.  That way I have if
the recovered mailboxes.db file was corrupt.

If you have the disk space to do your backup on disk, you are probably
better doing snapshots (mirror the volume, then break the mirror) than cp.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931