Where's the potential bottleneck? Should I use "murder" way or should I replace the backend?

Lin Wang linwang at utstar.com
Thu Feb 13 03:59:08 EST 2003

Hello, dear All:

I just made a test for cyrus-imapd-2.1.12 on a single Sun Blade 2000, with
10,000 mailboxes created.
I started 10 connections, appending a 16K message to the 10,000 mailboxes
simultaneously.
While I found there seems to be a limitation of about 1.5 msg/sec on each
connection, or a total throughput about 240KB/s (16K*1.5*10).

However, I want to improve the throughput to some degree, say 2MB/s, to
support a high-throughput application. So I want to know where is the
potential bottleneck of cyrus-imapd, the single pattern? or the backend
Berkeley?
Should I use the "Murder" way?  or should I replace the backend with Oracle?
or both of them?

Thanks for any help!

BR,
Lin        Feb 13, 2003