To build open source based scalable, stable webmail server

lst_hoe at kwsoft.de lst_hoe at kwsoft.de
Fri Feb 14 04:49:30 EST 2003

Zitat von Erol Ozcan <erolozcan at yahoo.com>:

> Hi!
>
>   I am looking for a scalable, stable and cost effective webmail
> server solutions. The server system
>
>  - should be cost effective and based on open source softwares as
> possible ( could be commercial )
>  - should be scalable up to 200,000 users, but 150,000 a must

Redundant SMTP-Gateway per MX-records
More than one IMAP-Server and access by some proxy like "perdition"
Redundant user base setup with LDAP

>  - account creation or deletion should not exceed 2 seconds

With scripting depends only from speed of your hardware

>  - could be support concurent 100 subscribers for webmail browsing on
> the system without any performance problems

Lot of Memory on the WEB-Server, php-accelerator and IMP as webmail.

>  - should not be create real system user for mail or other purposes.
> Account information stored LDAP or other databases.
>  - does not needed pop3 support

Standard today. Everything serious can have its own user-database.

>  - could ( i think should ) be cluster or similiar system ( load
> balance, round robin dns..., MUPDATE )

Critical point is the mailstore.

See www.horde.org.

>  - users quota limit could  be 1 MB or even 256 MB since webmail system is
> used only for special
> mail traffic ( MMS content ).

This is done by the mailstore (Cyrus :-)

>  - user accounts on the current Suse eMail server could be migratable to the
> new server. ( I think
> i needed write scripts )
>  - could be a bit high price hardware solutions ( my customer will
> provide hardwares )
>
>   I have looked Suse OpenExchange server, there are too many features
> that we dont need such as exchange server integration, projects,
> appointment etc. Its not cost effective solution any more due to
> client prices.

If you understand german have a look at
http://www.suse.de/de/business/products/whitepapers/index.html.
and
http://www.suse.de/de/business/products/frameworks/highscalable_email/index.htm
Maybe SuSE provide this paper in english too somewhere on www.suse.com.

Asking SuSE for support will be an option too.

Regards

Andreas