compiling error - cannot find -lssl

Jeremy Rumpf jrumpf at heavyload.net
Tue Feb 18 18:04:37 EST 2003

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 17:39 pm, Mike O'Rourke wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Sorry to be jumping in so late, but I have been busy with LDAP, et.al.
>
> Did you compile SASL2 on your machine? If not, did you install it from the
> RPM's? RedHat (even as late as 8.0) only installs SASLv1 by default. You
> are trying to use SASLv1 to compile Cyrus-IMAPd 2.1.11! Try installing
> SASLv2 from the RPM's, if you do not care to download and compile it as
> well.

Not so with 8.0:

[root at director1 root]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche)
[root at director1 root]#
[root at director1 root]# rpm -qa|grep sasl
cyrus-sasl-2.1.7-2
cyrus-sasl-devel-2.1.7-2
cyrus-sasl-md5-2.1.7-2
cyrus-sasl-plain-2.1.7-2

To my knowledge the v1 RPMS aren't included with the 8.0 distro anymore.

> As to your original problem, again you need to tip your hat to the kind
> folks at RedHat. The default install does not install the static libraries
> for OpenSSL. So, unless you have explicitely installed the static libraries
> (I am not even sure they are available on the disks), if you look in
> /usr/lib, you will find only libssl.so, libssl.so.0.9.6b and the
> libcrypto.so.0.9.6b files. Hence, -lssl finds no static libraries to link
> to, and chokes.
>
> Mike.

Same machine:

[root at director1 root]# ls -l /usr/lib/*ssl*
-rw-r--r--  1 root   root   281772 Aug  6  2002 /usr/lib/libssl.a
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root       26 Nov  8 07:16 /usr/lib/libssl.so ->
../../lib/libssl.so.0.9.6b

This is a rather default "Server" install, I can't say what a "Workstation"
install is like.

Dunno what Mark's root problem is, just wanted to share the above tidbits...

Jeremy