mail subject's problem

Shuji Kono shuji.kono at oriental.ac
Thu Feb 20 23:33:02 EST 2003

david at thbuo.gov.tw wrote:
> Hi all:
> I am a Chinese user in cyrus.
> There are a strange problem in email Subject's display problem.
>
> If i send a mail with Chinese words in subject field from outlook express to
> myself.When i received this mail from cyrus-imap i found,that the Subject looks
> like "XXX?XXXX" .Anybody can tell me why ?
>
> Imapd server is:
> cyrus-imapd-2.1.12
> cyrus-sasl-2.1.12
>
> David Chang

Cyrus would not show double-byte characters as they are in Subject field.
(Not only subject field but also any fields in mail headers are affected)
BIG5, which you are using, consists of 8-bit codes and is not supported
by RFC nor by cyrus.
If you want to include Chinese letters in headers, you have to encode
them with appropriate 7-bit charsets like HZ-GB2312.

I'm not familiar with outlook's encoding capability but even if outlook
is unable to perform 8to7 encoding, MTA would be able to do that.

--
Shuji Kono <shuji.kono at oriental.ac>