Two questions on MUPDATE

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Fri Feb 21 11:04:44 EST 2003

Greeting,

We are presently considering the use of a Cyrus imapd Murder for a
somewhat large installtion (12K mbox now, expected to grow to 100K
somewhen in the future).  I would have two questions.

First, the installation we are planning must support both POP (legacy)
and IMAP.  Since the mailboxes will be spread on at least two imapd
backend, we will have a problem presenting a unified POP access.  The
obvious solution would be to have different user use different POP server,
depending where their mailbox are located.  This is quite inelegant and
would complicate user support.  Is there any other way ?  One solution I
could envision would be to have a MUPDATE-aware POP proxy.  People
connect to the proxy, the proxy resolve the user mailbox location via
MUPDATE and serve the client request from that server.  Does such a
thing exist ?  Pointer to alternate solution are welcome.

Second, for this project, we have been called to make the "OSS"
proposition.  Our proposition (using Cyrus imapd and the Murder
technologie) will be competing with solution from other vendor.
Considering that the burden of proof always weight more on the OSS
and Free Software shoulder and that Cyrus imapd Murder is a
relatively recent technologie, it would be good for us to point to other
successful deplyement of that technologie.  If you know of or are
responsible for large scale installation (a few 10K mailboxes or more)
of Cyrus imapd Murder, I would like to hear about you.  If you prefer
not to discuss your experiences on the list, you are welcome to contact
me out-of-band.  I already know about the CMU installation; a second or
third exemple would be very nice.

Thank you very much for your answer; all input are appreciated.

Regards,

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
PGP Pub Key: http://www.LinuxQuebec.com/pubkeys/eg.key
Fingerprint: F569 0394 098A FC70 B572  5D20 3129 3D86 8FD5 C853