beginner's question

Jochen Stärk jstaerk at usegroup.de
Fri Feb 21 18:44:58 EST 2003

hi there,

I've installed Suse 8.1 professional and decided to go from uw imap with
shadow authentication to the cyrus server that ship with suse. Well, the
thing is: I can't log me in. Although Cyrus is up and running (telnet
localhost imap: "cyrus imap4 2.1.9 server ready"), when I try e.g. LOGIN
cyrus, it will say LOGIN BAD please login first.

I checked that sasl is running (rcsaslauthd start) and ps -aux  will
report me 5 "saslauthd -a pam".

Also, i gave cyrus a sasl1 as well as sasl2-entry in the db, using
saslpasswd -c cyrus and saslpasswd2 -c cyrus. Anyway, NO LOGIN IS ACCEPTED.
imtest -u cyrus localhost also prompts me for a password, but when i
enter the pwd, it will say S: A01 NO Error authenticating Authentication
failes. generic failure
Security strength factor: 128

Two more things to mention: in /etc/imapd.conf, the pwcheck is stated to
be  sasl_pwcheck_method:saslauthd and
my Suse-Cyrus seems to be compiled as if it would not accept
shadow-auth, so please don't ask me to trigger that on.

Is this thing trying to authenticate me on sasl or what? is my entry in
the sasldb sufficient or do i have to type that somekind of pam
frontend? Is there maybe even a default password for the first
configuration?

Where is the logfile  that tells me why those login-attempts have failed?

 thanks in advance,
Jochen