Cyrus in shared-only setup with no user inboxes?

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Feb 26 15:44:06 EST 2003

Scott Balmos wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I remember reading a message like this back in the 1997 archives, but
> maybe (hopefully?) something's changed in the newer versions.
>
> I'm intending to use Cyrus and shared IMAP folders as a replacement for
> a currently-running private NNTP server for small-scale discussion

FYI.  Cyrus 2.2 (not yet released) includes a NNTP daemon.  So you can
feed via NNTP and read via IMAP or vice versa.

> groups. No problem, as I know how to do the Cyrus ACLs. My question is
> if it possible to run Cyrus without individual user inboxes, such that
> the users exist in the ACL database, but that's it. What functionality

AFAIK, Cyrus doesn't care.

> is lost by not giving users individual mailboxes?

Other than the user not having an INBOX, nothing.  Your IMAP clients
might have an issue however (I've never tried it).

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127