cyradm authentication error

kewilliams kewilliams at dreamhousefund.com
Thu Feb 27 12:10:50 EST 2003

Robert thanks for the help,

After changing the imapd.conf file as you directed (and rebooting to make sure the changes took affect), I still got the error when running "cyradm --user cyrus localhost."  I noticed in my auth.log file that the following messages occurred when trying to log in:

Feb 27 08:52:56 web01 perl: No worthy mechs found

I'm not sure what this means, but upon looking up this message in the archive I was told to use cyradm --user cyrus -auth login localhost.  This DID work.  I'm ASSUMING this means I am trying to login in via plaintext instead of DIGEST-MD5.  (I have no clue why it won't work via DIGEST-MD5).  I was able to create a mailbox in my cyradm tool, but still got the following messages in my imapd.conf file:

Feb 27 08:56:03 web01 imapd[1229]: accepted connection
Feb 27 08:56:48 web01 imapd[1229]: badlogin: web01[127.0.0.1] PLAIN [SASL(-4): no mechanism available: security flags do not match required]
Feb 27 08:57:00 web01 imapd[1229]: badlogin: web01[127.0.0.1] plaintext cyrus SASL(-13): authentication failure: checkpass failed
Feb 27 08:57:10 web01 imapd[1229]: accepted connection
Feb 27 08:57:14 web01 imapd[1229]: login: web01[127.0.0.1] cyrus plaintext.

Why am I getting these error messages?  And as a newbie, I am COMPLETELY confused as to the differences between auxprop, saslauthd, login, and plain (those are the ones I have found so far...), and how they all relate regarding sasl2.  Does anyone know why I am getting these messages in my log files (specifically "no worthy mechs found" in my auth log, and "badlogin: web01[127.0.0.1] PLAIN..." in my imapd.log).

Also, is there any *good* documentation out there explaining the differences between these login mechanisms, and how they all relate?  I'd love to buy a good book on all this stuff!

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Williams