Large cyrus install surver

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Wed Dec 3 07:44:21 EST 2003

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at setting up IMAP servers for a mid-sized (2,000-3,000)
> company with several sites around the world.  I've run Cyrus myself
> for years, and I'm very happy with it.   But, I'd like to collect some
> configurations from people with large scale installations (CMU does
> not count :).
>
> If people will email me their info, I'll make a little web page, and
> post the results here so that others can benefit as well.
>
> Send me:
>
> The version(s) of Cyrus you are running

2.1.16

> The specs of the servers you have (cpu,mem,disk,os, etc)

2x P4Xeon 2.8GHz
8G Ram
36GB (2 disks U160/15krpm) SCSI HW Raid1 for system
~1TB (8 disks U160/10krpm) SCSI HW Raid5 for imap spool
Linux RedHat 7.3, kernel 2.4.20-20.7bigmem

> How many accounts on each server.

~ 1700

> The average and peak number of users on each server at a time

Average user count ~550, difficult to say because:
80% of our users currently use squirrelmail, which is running on the same
server. To reduce login ratio from squirrelmail, we have
http://www.imapproxy.org/ running between squirrelmail and cyrus-imapd. To
access cyrus from the internet, we have perdition and pound proxies
running infront of the mailserver. SSL is terminated on the proxy hosts.
All users are stored in a central LDAP directory, which every server
involved (cyrus/squirrelmail, proxy, mta's) holds a replica from.
Load average is usually between 1 - 3

> The average and peak number of messages in a folder for your users
>  (go ahead and estimate here...)

The server is in production for 5 weeks now, it's still almost empty.
Most folders contain some hundred mails, but there are some with some ten
thousands in one folder.
We have 500MB quota per default which is not too much in the corporate world.

> Are you using murder?  If so, describe your proxies and mupdate server.

No.

> Any random thoughts you have.  Would you pick Cyrus if you were free
> to start over right now? etc.

Sure, I tested all opensource imap servers I could find and there is none
like cyrus.

> What info about you (firstname, lastname, email, organization) is it ok
> for me to list with your info. (none at all is fine, and that's what I'll
> assume if you don't say otherwise)

Mentioning my name Simon Matter is okay.

Regards,
Simon