User creation - automatic subscriptions

Mike Cathey mpcathey at catt.com
Thu Dec 4 15:46:46 EST 2003

Ken,

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 09:52, Ken Murchison wrote:
>   Using cyradm, this would look like:
>
> cyradm --user cyrus --authz <userid> --auth digest-md5 localhost
>
> Using imtest, it would look like this:
>
> imtest -a cyrus -u <userid> -m digest-md5 localhost
>
> Both of these will authenticate you as cyrus (using cyrus' password),
> but authorize you (assume the identity) as <userid>.

Is this (authorization as another user) defined in one of the IMAP RFCs?

I've been poking around in the code for imtest (not a real C coder, btw)
and haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

Could someone save me the time and point me to an RFC or the section of
the code where the authorization is handled? I need to use it with some
perl modules (Mail::IMAPClient)...

I tested the above just now on 2.1.15.  I created a mailbox "user/foo"
and gave my user access (sam user/foo user all) to it via cyradm.  I
then logged in as myself (normal user) with imtest and tried to "select
user/foo" and got the error "Mailbox does not exist".  As cyrus I got
"permission denied" as expected.

Cheers,

Mike