Murder and POP3

Andreas S. Kerber ask at andreas.kerber.name
Mon Dec 8 09:02:36 EST 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 08:35:45AM -0500, Ken Murchison wrote:
> Does the test user have a mailbox on the backend?  Because POP3 only
> supports one mailbox, when you authenticate, it also tries to open the
> mailbox.  If user.test can't be found or open, authentication will fail.
>  IMAP is different in that authentication and mailbox selection are two
> separate functions.  What happens if you do:
> x SELECT INBOX
> in imtest?

Yes the "test" User has a mailbox on the backend and it is possible
login as the "test" User on the backend, without any problems. Accessing
the INBOX via IMAP works too (I've used mutt). Here is the output
from the "SELECT" via imtest.

Authenticated.
Security strength factor: 0
. SELECT INBOX
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen \*)]
* 9 EXISTS
* 2 RECENT
* OK [UNSEEN 1]
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1070887483]
* OK [UIDNEXT 11]
. OK [READ-WRITE] Completed

Since I could find any other explaination for the problem, I've
just installed cyrus-imapd-2.2.2-BETA on all 3 test machines and POP3
works now too!  Is there a know bug in the pop3proxyd of cyrus-imapd-2.1.16?

We're planing to setup a large cyrus murder within
the next few weeks. Is it better to go with 2.1.16 (trying to fix pop3) or will
2.2.2 be out soon anyway, so we'd better wait?  Most of our users only need POP3.