timsieved not advertising mechs

Timo Proescholdt proescho at informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Dec 12 12:35:13 EST 2003

Hi,

i want to set up timesieved in order to store sieve scripts on a server.
No imapd,popd.

my problem is that i am not able to authenticate against timesieved,
beacuse it is not adverstising any AUTH capabilities.
The failure message shown by sivtest is "no worthy mechs".
i compiled testsaslauthd, and it tells me that saslauthd is working fine.

while i was tracking down the problem i sctraced the saslauthd process
while telnetting or sivetesting timeseived, there was no reaction at all,
while it was showing quite a lot of activity during the testsaslauthd run.

It seems for me, that for some reason, timeseived does not know anything
about sasl at all.
Cyrus is cyrus-imapd-2.1.16.

i paste my configuration below.

many thanks
Timo

my imapd.conf
configdirectory: /var/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: cyrus
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
allowplaintext: yes

my cyrus.conf just spawns one timesieved.

START {
  recover       cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"
}
SERVICES {
  sieve         cmd="timsieved" listen="sieve" prefork=1
  lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=0
}
EVENTS {
  checkpoint    cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=30
  delprune      cmd="ctl_deliver -E 3" at=0400
  tlsprune      cmd="tls_prune" at=0400
}

telnet localhost sieve

Connected to my.server.
Escape character is '^]'.
"IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.1.16"
"SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify subaddress relational regex"
OK

sivetest -u mylogin -a mylogin -m PLAIN localhost

S: "IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.1.16"
S: "SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify subaddress relational regex"
S: OK
Authentication failed. no mechanism available
Security strength factor: 0

i compiled cyrus-sasl and cyrus-imapd myself.

 ./configure  --prefix=/usr/local/sasl --with-pam --enable-plain --enable-login
./configure  --with-sasl=/usr/local/sasl/ --prefix=/usr/local/cyrus/ --with-auth=unix

saslauthd is running with -a pam.

/etc/pam.d/{sieve,cyrus,pop} (symlinks to sieve)

auth    required        pam_unix.so nullok
account required        pam_unix.so

--
Timo

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that
cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong
goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

 - One of the laws of computers and programming revealed.
the hitchhikers guide through the galaxy