Authenticating and authorizing as different users w/an MUA?

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Dec 15 15:22:10 EST 2003

Wil Cooley wrote:

> I recall being able to authenticate as one user and authorize as another
> at some point with cyradm; it doesn't seem to do that anymore (at least,
> it's not in the man page).

Yeah, its not documented and the option names are almost the reverse of
what imtest uses:

cyradm --user <authid> --authz <authzid>

imtest -a <authid> -u <authzid>

Note that the only mechanisms that allow for proxying are PLAIN,
DIGEST-MD5, OTP, SRP, KERBEROS_V4 and GSSAPI.

> At any rate, this tells me it's something
> the server and IMAP protocol are capable of.  However, I don't know of
> any MUAs that will let you do this, which is important for certain user
> support issues.  Does anyone know of one, or am I mistaken about being
> able to do this?

I'm not aware of any maintream MUAs that let you do this.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127