server sizing question

Earl R Shannon ershanno at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Dec 29 10:43:13 EST 2003

Hello,

I can't comment on a comparison since I've never heard of
cucipop. What I can do is tell you what we run here at NCSU.
We currently have 4 servers but plan to add 4 more.
The servers are Sun Enterprise 220R's with 2 Gig of memory.
We have over 10,000 accounts per machine. Not all are active
however. They generally have about 1,000 imap processes
running at any given time during the semester with a load
average usually less than 1. Mail delivery spikes sometimes
push the load average up. We have a seperate mail relay
system and use lmtp for delivery to the IMAP servers instead
of postfix or sendmail.

I'm not sure how well you'll be able to map this to an Intel
based server, which I'm guessing you'll be running. But I'd
bet you'd be able to run your proposed load fairly well on
an adequately configured single server, ie, plenty of memory
and speed. And since the servers are very I/O intensive, the
faster the disk subsystem the better.

Regards,
Earl Shannon